UX, UI and creative design for websites and digital services
Level: Junior to mid, 2 to 5+ years industry experience
Permanent, full-time with 100% remote (or hybrid) working
Hours: 9.00am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday
(or part-time if you’d prefer)
Salary range: £30,000 to £50,000
S8080 is a digital agency based in south Wales, established in 2000. We are a close, friendly group of 20, consisting of design, development, and project management teams.
We design and develop secure, user-centred websites and digital services for public sector clients including No.10 Downing Street, Welsh Government, ministerial and non-ministerial departments, emergency services, local government and education.
We are a carbon negative agency and ISO27001 and ISO9001 certified. We achieved Investors in People way back in 2007 – that means we are seriously committed to your development, building a positive and progressive culture and involving our team in the decisions that shape S8080.
We’re looking for a digital designer who wants to help design user centred websites and digital service solutions for some very important and varied organisations.
The position is permanent, with full-time remote working (after the onboarding period) but our Swansea offices are available to our team if flexible hybrid working is preferred. S8080 offers a calm but diligent working environment, where you will be given the time needed to perform your tasks properly and to a high level of quality, with ample support from your colleagues. We are not a high-pressure ‘salesy’ agency; we are quality driven, not commercially driven.
We offer extremely competitive salaries, remote or hybrid working (your choice), a pension, 21.5 days holiday plus Welsh bank holidays (with the option to buy or sell annual leave), flexible working, learning resources, on-the job training from some of the best designers and developers in the country and more formal professional development opportunities. We have regular face to face socials.
We have extremely low staff turnover because we value your preferred work-life balance and we never ask our team to work outside of their contracted hours or weekends, (unless it’s an extremely rare emergency!).
We’ll provide you with a powerful multi-monitor Windows 11 laptop setup and access to our robust suite of digital services enabling fast and efficient remote working.
- Work closely with our design lead to create user centred digital solutions for our public sector client base
- Work with and developing design systems, implementing good UI principles
- Work alongside design lead and development team to create wireframes and prototypes
- Create designs based on wireframes and functional specifications
- Work to deadlines while maintaining high quality, being accountable for your time management
- Take part in internal and external project meetings, contributing to design and UX discussions alongside our design lead
- Assist the development team with the supply of design assets and design specifications
- QA the implementation of designs during the development stages, giving helpful feedback to your development colleagues
- Keep up to date with digital trends and industry best practice
- Work with our project management team to create, populate and maintain content across our CMS platforms
Skills you’ll have:
- An exceptional eye for detail and quality
- Working collaboratively with colleagues and client teams
- Solid understanding of user centred design best practice and design patterns
- Experience of MS Windows and Office applications
- Practical experience using industry tools such as Figma (preferred), Sketch, Adobe XD, Adobe Creative Suite, or similar tools.
- Confident working with design systems and UI libraries
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Awareness of accessibility best practice (WCAG 2.1)
- Experience designing for open-source content management systems
- Experience editing content in open-source content management systems
Nice to have:
- Government design system knowledge, (for example, the GOV.UK Design System, or Welsh Government GEL)
- It would be great if you’re a Welsh speaker as many of our clients are too
- Front-end coding experience
- Understanding of user research and discovery tasks
- Knowledge or experience of agile project management
Even nicer to have:
More senior applicants would have the following:
- Practical discovery and research experience
- Working closely with product teams to develop and lead on design vision, strategy, KPI’s, goals and roadmap
- Experience scoping and estimating design and UX projects
- Leading design meetings
- Excellent presentation skills
- Identifying and delivering efficiency and quality improvements to the design team
- Appropriate specialisms (for example, accessibility, copywriting, content design, etc.)
If you come to work for us, there will be a two to four week induction period depending on your experience. During this period, a number of days will be based in our offices in Swansea, where you’ll pick up your equipment, meet your colleagues and receive face-to-face orientation and training. After this, it’ll be 100% remote (or hybrid if you’d prefer).
Please email Chris Cowell, one of S8080’s directors at [email protected].
Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you.
You must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES