After our successes with a number of Royal Colleges we were approached by the Royal College of Radiologists to redevelop their website, integrate closely with Integra their CRM system, build a single sign on system, and allow users to pay for memberships and book events booking via the website. Drupal was the chosen development platform.
What we did to help (the short version):
- The project was split into two distinct phases, firstly, a highly detailed UX and discovery phase and secondly, the design and build phase.
The UX and discovery phase
- Taking an agile approach but working within the real-world constraints of time, budget and ‘must have functionality’ we ran a detailed kick off and alignment session, plus a series of technical meetings to understand the user requirements and the organisation needs in detail
- The wire framing and rapid prototyping in Drupal was split into a number of sprints with demonstration and feedback sessions with the team at RCR, that way we could discuss detailed workflows and processes and suggest potential modules to refine the scope and the proposed solution.
- During this phase we prioritised the toughest parts of the project – in this case linking into Integra and other third party systems, fortunately we’d already worked on a complex Royal College integration with Integra so we had a wealth of knowledge and experience in the team, which through the course of this project was expanded further.
- The outputs of phase 1 was a detailed IA diagram, a 200+ page detailed wire frame and process flow document, rapid prototyped fragments in Drupal, home page design and the agile user stories to form the foundation of phase 2.
The detailed design and Drupal development phase included:
- An agile approach, user stories were prioritised and worked on, fortnightly sprints were held together with sprint review meetings.
- Creative briefing workshops helped move the design phase on at pace. Creative design focussed on a responsive / adaptive layout for mobile devices and iPads
- API links and configuration were tackled early, along with Integra integration and CRM for membership services and registration, with the development and refinement of search using Solr.
- Then came CMS setup, news and blog and by expanding Drupal and linking with the Advanced NFP Integra API we enabled RCR members to book their courses, exams, events and training with payments handled via a third party payment provider and e-commerce provision
- Bespoke user roles and workflow for different parts of the website was built for the team along with a document management system including complex workflow, publishing, archiving, permissions and notifications
- We then developed the ability to run elections online, a publications e-commerce facility, forums, polls, a member’s directory and much more!
- Development and integration of single sign on and linking to legacy web systems
- The site was built to stringent accessibility standards and mobile responsive with support for older browsers along with authentication and security
- Lots more technical development and integration of third party systems and guidance and support for the RCR
- As always the project was wrapped up with lots of friendly project management, direct access to the technical development team and agile approach to the project along with testing, QA and support
Read enough? get in touch
If you would like to chat about how S8080 could help you design and develop your web site, contact us or email email@example.com.